Langness Lighthouse / Herring Tower
Langness Lighthouse was established in 1880 to guide boats into Castletown and is currently Automated and the surrounding cottages are holiday homes. Before this time, a landmark known as the Herring Tower held a lighted flare to guide fishing boats home.
The Herring Tower is situated on the Langness Peninsula in the south of the Isle of Man. It was built by Thomas Brine in 1823. The Tower was built as a daymark and was based on the style of the Tower of Peel Castle. Since 1991 the Herring Tower has been protected as a registered building.